Saturday, April 2, 2011

The day is about half done, and I feel I've been fairly productive - if only in a "touristy" sort of way. I did achieve all the goals I stated in my last post, however. I visited Osaka castle and picked up some food from a スーパ ("su-pa" or Supermarket) so that I can cook my own meal tonight. I got some bacon (yay) to go with my eggs and some stuff to make a salad. I figure for dinner tonight I'll boil up one of the eggs and cook some of the bacon and toss that in the salad to make it more filling.

I am really enjoying the hostel. It has plenty of open/shared areas like a full kitchen, dining area, a bar area to eat at in the kitchen and a TV area downstairs. The whole place feels very open and there is lots of light. There's a little spot on the balcony of each level with 2 washers & a dryer, and then clotheslines if you prefer to hang dry your clothes.

Though I am sharing a room with 5 other people, it's not a big deal. I was probably the noisiest person in the entire place last night due to my restlessness. I was up at 4 AM and haven't slept since. I did get to talk to my mom on Skype though, so that was good.

Things I have learned about Japan today:

You have to wear different shoes for the toilet room than you'd wear around the rest of the house.*

Everyone in Japan has a camera.

Everyone's camera is nicer than mine. Everyone's.

People stare. Sometimes when you catch them, they stop, but sometimes they just can't help it. I'll admit, it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be (based on what I'd read), but it's still REALLY entertaining when I catch someone mid-stare and they immediately avert their eyes. GAIJIN COUNTER-STARE POWER! Admittedly, it doesn't bother me at all. I just smile and keep going. I am a minority here - not just a gaijin, but one with blonde hair and blue eyes - and that's just how things are going to be. No reason to get huffy about it.

I plan to do a comprehensive post about the hostel. I feel weird and touristy by snapping pics of everything, so at least in the hostel (the place where it makes the LEAST amount of sense to feel "touristy,") I try to snap pics when no one is around. Actually, it's not about feeling touristy... The hostel is so homey that it almost feels invasive to be taking pictures of everything. Nonetheless, I am taking them as I go and so will post that soon. And then some of the NINETY-SEVEN pictures I took today at Osaka castle. In the meantime, maybe this vending machine will tide you over:


*You take your outdoor shoes off upon entering and either wear house-slippers or socks and then when you use the restroom, you switch to the restroom shoes. I could be completely wrong about this, because I'm just guessing, but there is a pair of slippers in every single toilet room. They're green. I have no idea.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see that canned/bottled drinks are still Y120 - as they were in Okinawa in 1991. Only Y120 was about $0.75 then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and quite the variety to choose from. There is a beer vending machine actually IN the kitchen in the hostel, heh.

    ReplyDelete