Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Train --> Rain --> Bus --> Tardy

This morning, Meaghan and I decided to set off on an adventure to figure out the bus system. Thing is, our dorms are farther away from our campus (Toyonaka) than the other campus (Suita). The train to Suita is only ¥150, but the train to Toyonaka is ¥280. That minor difference adds up to almost $50 USD over the course of a month. So, to conserve money and also to figure out the bus system, we decided to take the train to Suita and ride the (free) bus from there to Toyonaka. It takes more time this way, but the walk is a bit more challenging (HILLS) and good for one's health, so I figured, "Why the hell not?"

The skies outside my dorm were blue and had small fluffy clouds, so I left my umbrella AND my jacket in the dorm. The temperature outside was quite nice; cool, but not cold. We walked to Minami-Senri station and I grabbed something from the bread shop (CARBAHOLIC) for breakfast. We took the train and then walked another 15 minutes or so to Suita campus. That's when it started to rain. Then it started to pour. Then we realized we were at the wrong bus stop, so we went to a different bus stop. There was no bus there, either, and a bus schedule showing a bus coming only once every hour or so. So, we went to the International Students Assistance Center (or whatever it's called), but they didn't open until 8:30, so there was no one there to help us. So, we trudged back through the rain to the original bus stop. We saw a bus across the street, but it was letting people off so we thought if we ran to talk to the bus driver, we'd probably miss it, so we waited. And waited. The bus didn't leave, so we decided to go ask! Of course, just then, the bus pulled away. But, I thought, it might be going to the stop we were just at! So, we dashed over there. No such luck. The bus stopped near the co-op and just stayed there. We saw another bus but had similar results trying to track it down. Finally, we went to the co-op where the original (and now "out of service") bus was at, and asked the driver where the stop was for the bus that went to Toyonaka.

He gave us directions (we were WAY off) and we found the stop, now soaking wet, and caught the bus. We were over ten minutes late for class. BUT! Now we know the bus, so we can take it to-and-from with ease. Plus, I think this is the first vehicle I've been inside of in WEEKS, and they drive on the left side of the road here, so that was kind of interesting. :)

Anyway, I only have two classes on Tuesdays now after doing a bit of shifting around. The sad part is my first class is the earliest class of the day, and my second class is the second-to-last, so I have a huge gap between the two. Oh well, homework time! Then two classes wednesday, then four classes on Thursday and one on Friday. Oh, and one on Monday... It doesn't add up to seven, but it's complicated. I am taking seven classes, just trust me on that. Well, eight if you count my beloved "home room" class.

No comments:

Post a Comment